What is UAN?
UAN stands for Universal Account Number. A Universal Account Number is used for accessing your Employer Provident Fund Account. It is a unique-12 digit number issued by the Employee Provident Fund Organisation. UAN is like a registered customer id which facilitates PF account services like withdrawal, checking EPF balance, passbook, loan application, etc.
The UAN remains the same irrespective of the number of employers you change in your career. Every time you switch a job, your new employer will automatically assign a new EPF account. The EPF account is linked to your UAN (once the member ID is created, it gets linked to the UAN of the employee).
Benefits and Features of UAN
- UAN facilitates easy withdrawal/deposit for your EPFO Account
- UAN helps in tracking multiple employers of an employee
- It helps to centralise employee data across the country
- UAN unifies different identification numbers pertaining to a single employee
- Employees can easily transfer PF balance from old to new EPF account using this unique account number
- It is easier to withdraw (fully or partially) PF online with this number
How to know your UAN?
Employer - The easiest way to know your UAN is through your employer. The employer allotts you a UAN when you join the company. Also, the UAN is mentioned in your Form 16 and monthly salary slip. Also, you can ask the HR or accounts department for details regarding your UAN.
UAN Website - You can know your UAN from the official website of EPF provided you have your PF/identification number ready. Here are the steps to do the same:
- Visit the official website website of UAN - unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Select the tab ‘Know your UAN Status’
- Select your state of residence and EPFO office
- Enter the requested details - PF number/member ID, name, date of birth, mobile no, and captcha code
- Enter the tab ‘Get Authorization Pin’
- You will receive an OTP in your registered mobile number
- Click on the ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ button
- The UAN will be sent to your registered mobile number
How to Activate your UAN?
In order to activate your UAN, you need to have your Universal Account Number and PF member ID with you. Here are the steps to do the same:
- Visit the official website of EPFO - epfindia.gov.in/site_en/
- Select ‘For Employees’ under ‘Our Services’
- Select ‘Member UAN/Online services’ in the services section
- Enter your Universal Account Number, mobile number, PF member ID and captcha
- Click on the ‘Get authorization PIN’ tab
- Select I Agree and enter the OTP received in your registered mobile number
- Click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’
- Once the UAN is activated, you will receive a password on your registered mobile number
What are the documents required for UAN?
Here is a list of documents required for UAN:
- Bank A/C details - Account number, IFSC code and bank branch name
- KYC - Proof of ID and Residence
- PAN Card
- Aadhaar Card
- ESIC Card
Recommendation:How To Generate UAN from EPFO Portal Directly