Best investment policies at lowest premiums.
Top performing investment plans, better than mutual funds
Plans with zero commissions
and lowest charges in the market.
tax-free returns
Benefits for 80C, 10(10D) and no LTCG.

How to Merge Two EPF Accounts?

There are often cases of multiple Employee Provident Fund Accounts. As per Employee Provident Fund Organisation’s rule, an employee is allowed to have only one UAN throughout his lifetime. When an EPF account is opened, a UAN (Universal Account Number) is assigned to access the account. In case you have been assigned two UANs, you have to get the previous one deactivated. Also, the EPFO offers a facility to its members that allows consolidation or merger of their multiple PF accounts with the current universal account number (UAN).

Reason for Two UANs

An EPF account is opened on behalf of the employee by the company/employer. When an employee switches his/her job, there is a probability that a new UAN is allotted to the member employee. Many times, joining employees do not disclose their UAN/EPF details to the new employer. When an employee does not discuss these details, the new employer opens a new UAN and EPF account. Non-furnishing of ‘Date of Exit’ by the previous employer - Many times your previous employer fails to mention the Date of Exit in the Electronic Challan and Return (ECR). When this information is not provided on time, the new employer opens a new UAN and EPF account. In case you have been allotted two UANs, you can get the previous one deactivated and your EPF account transferred to the new UAN. Steps to do the same are as follows

  1. Report the issue to your employer or EPFO
  2. You can also send an email to uanepf@epfindia.gov.in with the relevant details
  3. EPFO will conduct a verification for the same
  4. Your previous UAN will be blocked while the new one will be active
  5. You will be required to submit a claim to transfer the EPF account (linked with the blocked UAN) to the new active account OR you can apply for the transfer of old EPF to the new one.

How to Merge two EPF Accounts in One UAN Offline

  1. EPFO’s system automatically identifies when one of the two EPF accounts of the same employee having different UANs has to be transferred
  2. Post identification, old UAN from which EPF transfer has been processed to a new EPF account having different UAN is deactivated by EPFO
  3. Ensure that your KYC and Aadhaar details updated and registered with the EPFO
  4. The employee’s previous member ID is linked to the current UAN
  5. You will be required to activate your new UAN
  6. Visit the official website of EFP transfer website and login with your registered UAN and password
  7. Select the Claims section and choose Request for Transfer of Account
  8. You will be required to submit Form 13 with all your personal details in Part A of the form
  9. Fill your previous account details in Part B of the form
  10. Fill your current account details in Part C of the form
  11. Submit the form to your new employer
  12. Now, your old UAN will be deactivated within a few days.

How to Merge two EPF Accounts in One UAN Online

  1. Visit the EPFO portal
  2. Select the One employee - One EPF account under the Services tab
  3. You will have to fill an online form
  4. Enter your registered mobile number along with UAN and current member id
  5. A One Time Password will be sent to the registered mobile number on entering the details for authentication
  6. Enter your old EPF details and submit the online form
  7. Post submission, the request for merger of that account to the existing PF account will be sent to EPFO

FAQs on How to Merge Two EPF Accounts

How long will it take to merge two EPF accounts?

The account merging facility is available three days after activation of the UAN. The merger of account will take place within 20 to 30 working days.

How can I withdraw my EPF from two different companies?

You will have to deactivate the previous UAN and transfer the balance to a new UAN. You can only withdraw EPF if you are unemployed or when you retire. 75% of the EPF balance can be withdrawn after one month of unemployment and the remaining 25% can be withdrawn after two months of unemployment. You can make a withdrawal claim by filling the EPF withdrawal form online.

Close