Aadhaar card is an important document which can be updated in case of any change in your details. You can also check the status of your update request to know whether the details have been updated in the card or not.
Aadhaar is a unique 12-digit identification code that is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India, UIDAI to every legal resident of India. The enrolment for Aadhaar is completely free of cost and is available for everyone from a new born child to a senior citizen. It is important to keep your Aadhaar status updated at all times with regards to any change in address, mobile number, or any other such changes which are important for your verification.
Let’s dive deeper to understand the benefits of an Aadhaar card.
Benefits of Aadhaar Card
- Direct Benefit Transfer of LPG Subsidy: This scheme named as Pahal provides LPG subsidy to all cardholders.
- Jan Dhan Yojana: This scheme gives every cardholder the right to open a bank account by providing their Aadhaar number along with other relevant documents.
- Faster Passport Approval: Under the new ruling, having an Aadhaar card is mandatory to apply for a Passport. Also, it speeds up the process of procuring the passport within 10 days of application.
- Digital Locker: You can use your Aadhaar number to secure all your documents on Government provided servers.
- Voter Card Linking: The Aadhaar card is now linked to the Voter ID card and therefore, has been instrumental in eliminating any discrepancy in the voting system.
- Monthly Pension: Pension beneficiaries are required to register their Aadhaar number with their department to avoid any fraudulent claimants.
- Provident Fund: The Employee Provident Fund Organization has also implemented Aadhaar linking with all account holders to maintain transparency.
- Mobile Connection: It is now mandatory for all mobile subscribers to link their mobile numbers to their Aadhaar Card to maintain security.
Types of Updates
There are a number of reasons why your Aadhaar should be updated at all times. The update is of two types, i.e. Demographic or Biometric. Demographic updates include name, date of birth, gender, mobile number and e-mail address. On the other hand, biometric updates include fingerprints, iris and photograph. Biometric updates are generally needed when a child turns 5 or 15 years of age.
How to Check Aadhaar Status after Update Request Submitted
You can apply for an Aadhaar update online or by visiting the nearest enrolment or update centre. You can check the Aadhaar updated status online at the UIDAI internet site, or via SMS. The Government has made the process of checking the status of Aadhaar Card very convenient. These are the ways in which you can check your Aadhaar Update Status:
With Acknowledgement Slip
The acknowledgement slip is like a receipt given by UIDAI containing all the information regarding the Aadhaar card. This slip helps you find out your Aadhaar update status. During the update process, you are required to complete filling up the application form, which is available both offline at any enrolment centre or online. On submitting the completed application form with all the necessary documentation that is required for the change, a URN would be generated in the acknowledgement sheet provided. URN stands for Update Request Number and is helpful in tracking the update status.
How to check the Aadhar Card update online?
While applying for an online update through the Aadhaar self-service portal at www.uidai.gov.in, you will receive the Acknowledgement Slip that you can download and print. This slip has the URN and the SRN. URN is the 14-digit Update Request Number and SRN is the 14-digit Service Request Number. Following the undermentioned steps, you can easily track your update status:
- Visit the official website for Aadhaar Card, i.e. www.uidai.gov.in
- Then click on the Aadhaar Update tab that is available on the home page itself
- Click on the “Check Status - Update done Online” under the Aadhaar Update category.
- Enter your Aadhaar number, URN along with the SRN. You will get a text verification. Fill it in the box and click on “Get Status”.
In case you have submitted the Aadhaar Update form offline at any Aadhar enrollment centre, you need to follow the following steps in order to know the status of the update:
- Visit the official Aadhaar website at www.uidai.gov.in.
- Then, click on the Aadhar Update tab that is available on the home page
- Click on “Check Status - Update done at Enrolment Centre/ECMP” under the Aadhaar Update Category.
- Here, you need to enter the Aadhaar number along with the URN number in order to find the exact status of the update of your Aadhaar Card.
How to check the Aadhaar Card update offline?
If you intend to check your Aadhaar update status offline, you have to follow these steps:
- Visit any Aadhaar Enrollment Centre or Permanent Aadhaar Centre (PAC). This centre can be different from your application centre.
- Remember to carry your acknowledgement slip and the URN while enquiring for the update.
- You can contact the appointed person at the centre for the status update who will inform you of the status, whether it approved, in process or rejected.
Update via Phone
You can check your Aadhaar Update Status by calling the toll-free Aadhaar hotline number at 1947. The operator at the other end will need information regarding the Aadhaar number, URN and other details. Once all information is processed, you will be updated about your Aadhaar status.
Update via SMS
You can type UID STATUS-space-14-digit enrollment number, or UID STATUS-space-28-digit EID and send an SMS to 51969 to inquire about Aadhaar status via SMS.
Update via Post
You can also inquire about your Aadhaar update status by writing at the following address with all the necessary details: PO Box 1947 GPO Bangalore – 560001 Update via E-mail The UIDAI has a fully functional e-mail address to cater to enquiries for Aadhaar update status. You can send an e-mail at email@example.com for your update information.
Without Acknowledgement Slip
In the event of misplacing your acknowledgement slip, you can retrieve the Enrollment ID and Date/Time of acknowledgement through the UIDAI website by following these steps:
- Click on ‘Find UID/EID’ option on the Aadhaar official page.
- You will get 2 options, to retrieve your Aadhaar Number and to retrieve your 28-digit Enrollment Number (EID). Select the EID option.
- Enter the required details such as full name, email id or mobile number and security code.
- Click on the “Get OTP” button. You will receive a One-Time Password on your registered email id or mobile number.
- Enter the OTP received and click on the ‘Verify OTP’ button.
- Once the OTP is verified, your enrollment number will be displayed. Now, you can continue in the same manner as you would with the acknowledgement slip. The process is mentioned above.
Considering the increasing importance and acceptance of the Aadhar card in all kinds of transactions and all departments, it is now imperative that you update your Aadhaar Status. This will not only make your work processes faster and easier, but you will also get additional benefits through the various schemes introduced by the Government.
Recommended Read: What You Need to do for updating your Unique Identity Card?