Linking Aadhar card with Voter ID might become mandatory, says Election Commission
Last year, the Election Commission had pitched to the Supreme Court of India for linking Voter ID with Aadhar card. Currently, India has a voter base of over 750 million.
The EC stated in October 2018, that it would propose amendments to the Representation of the People Act, 1951, requiring citizens to link their Electoral Photo ID Card with Aadhaar, while ensuring privacy protection, The Economic Times reported.
The purpose of this decision is to reduce the number of fake and bogus voter IDs, which have recently surfaced in the Indian economy. There have been multiple cases of citizens holding more than a single voter ID card in the previous elections. With the new feature of linking of voter ID with Aadhar card, the Election Commission will be able to detect as well as eliminate bogus/fake voter ID cards in a single individual’s name.
Aadhar card is a very important document, which acts as a Proof of ID and Residence. In addition, Aadhaar registration requires an individual to submit their biometric and demographic information, such as fingerprint and iris scans. As a result, the chances of duplication are almost impossible. This is the most important reason why the government of India has decided to link voter IDs to Aadhar card.
You can link your Voter ID with Aadhar card on National Voter Service Portal (NVSP) via any of the following modes:
- Enter your basic KYC details - Name, age, address, etc.
- Click on the “Search” button. Your details will be displayed as per the government database.
- Click on “Feed Aadhaar No” option.
- Fill in your name as provided in Aadhar card, Aadhaar number, voter ID number, registered mobile number and/or registered email address.
- Click on submit. Post submission, you will receive a message that your application to link Aadhaar with voter ID has been registered successfully.
Link via SMS
Simply send an SMS to 166 OR 51969 in the following format: Voter ID Number Aadhaar_Number
Link via Phone
Dial 1950 on weekdays between 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and provide your Voter ID and Aadhar card information.
Link via Booth Level Officers
You can submit an application to your respective Booth Level Officer (BLO) for linking voter ID with Aadhar card.