Visit the UIDAI’s online self-service portal to use the range of services offered to Aadhaar card holders and Aadhaar applicants. The online services offered by UIDAI are available 24x7 and 365 days of the year.
The Unique Identification Authority of India or UIDAI, provides a range of services for Aadhar card holders and Aadhaar applicants online. The UIDAI under the Aadhaar program of the government, offers these online services through its self-service portal, uidai.gov.in. While new applicants can check their Aadhaar enrolment status, those who are already registered under the biometric-enabled Aadhaar number can verify their UID (Unique Identification Number), among many other features.
Here’s how you can make use of UIDAI’s online Aadhar card services through its self-service portal.
Enable or disable Aadhar card biometrics lock
The biometric locking and unlocking is one of the most essential and effective security features of UID. Biometric locking facility allows you to lock your biometrics and prevent it from being misused. Your iris scan and fingerprints are disabled from being used upon biometric locking. When you want to use your biometric data, you have an option to unlock it temporarily.
When unlocked, the biometric data remains available for authentication for 10 minutes for you to carry out your task. After 10 minutes, the data gets locked automatically. You have an option to disable the biometric lock if you do not wish to add an additional layer of security to your Aadhaar.
- Visit uidai.gov.in and click on “Lock/unlock Biometrics" option under the Aadhaar services section.
- Login to the UIDAI online portal using your Aadhar card number. Enter your Aadhar card number and security code and hit "Get OTP" button.
- Enter the OTP and click on "Log in."
- Enter the security code to validate and click on the "Lock" button to secure your biometrics.
- In case you wish to unlock your biometrics, you need to log in again to the UIDAI portal.
- This time, the system will give you two options – Unlock and Disable.
- If you want to unlock your biometric data temporarily, you can unlock the same.
- In case you do not want to secure your biometric data, you can click on the disable button and remove the lock from your Aadhaar biometric permanently.
- It is possible to lock your biometric again whenever you want.
- Biometric locking and unlocking facility is also available through mAadhaar, an official app of UIDAI.
- It is important to note that when you lock biometric for the first time, the system may take up to 6 hours to lock it completely.
- You can apply for a change in your address field into the database of Aadhaar. You can access the service by selecting the "Update your address online" option under the UIDAI portal.
- Under the next page, you are required to log in to the portal through OTP.
- After logging in, you can proceed by clicking on “Update address via address proof” option.
- Under this method, you are required to upload a digital copy of your address proof.
- The next step is to fill in the personal details such as name and full address.
- UIDAI's self-service portal accepts a passport, bank passbook, insurance policy, driving license, among others as a valid address proof.
Reprint Aadhaar card
You can reprint your Aadhar card online from UIDAI's online portal. The facility is not free of cost, and it charged at Rs. 50 per Aadhaar print.
To utilise this facility, you are required to login to the UIDAI online portal through your registered mobile number. An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number for the verification purpose.
You can download and reprint your Aadhar card within a couple of seconds.
Virtual ID generation
- A virtual ID is a 16-digit temporary code generated against your Aadhaar number. It can be generated by visiting the UIDAI official portal.
- This number can be issued and used in the place of Aadhaar number. You are not required to share your Aadhaar number if you provide the virtual ID.
- Click on the “Virtual ID Generator” option under Aadhaar service section.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and the security code and click on “Send OTP” option.
- Enter the OPT received on your registered mobile number and select the option to generate or retrieve your virtual ID.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- The system will generate your Virtual ID and send to your registered mobile number.
Aadhaar – Bank account link status
- You can check the latest bank account linked with your Aadhaar with this facility.
- In case you do not have any bank account linked with your Aadhaar, the system will display a message stating the same.
- You are required to link your mobile number with Aadhar card before opting for this facility.
- The information regarding Aadhar card linking with bank accounts is fetched from the NPCI server.
- Click on “Check Aadhar and Bank Account Linking Status” in order to check the linking status online.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and the security code.
- Click on “Send OTP” button. The system will send an OTP to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and click on the “Submit” button.
- The screen will display the bank accounts linked with your Aadhaar number.
Email/Mobile number verification
This facility from UIDAI helps you to check if your mobile number or email address is mentioned in your Aadhar card or not. To avail this facility, make sure that your mobile number is registered with UIDAI.
- Click on “Verify email/mobile number” option from the Aadhaar services menu.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar card number in the given text box.
- Now, enter your email ID or mobile number. Enter the security code and click on "Get OTP".
- The system will send an OTP to your registered number.
- The screen will display whether your mobile number or the email ID is linked with Aadhaar or not.
- If your number is registered, the last three digits of the number will be displayed on the screen.
- It is important to note that you can either verify your email Id or mobile number at the same time.
With Aadhaar initiative by the Indian government, more than 90% of the Indian citizens have successfully enrolled for the same. Even though managing this process is still a major task, the UIDAI has come up with several Aadhar card services online that you can use to check, verify and manage several facilities. These services offered by UIDAI will undoubtedly increase the portability and acceptance of 12-digit biometric identity proof. Most of these services are free and available for every Indian citizen. The online services offered by UIDAI are available 24x7 round the year.
Recommended Read: Print Aadhaar Officially From UIDAI