Having an Aadhaar card is now a mandatory requirement. Read on to know how you can lock or unlock your Aadhaar number.
The UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) is a government institution responsible for providing Aadhaar cards to the Indian Citizens. Apart from providing the unique identification number and the Aadhaar card, it is also responsible for upgrading various features and facilities offered by Aadhaar Card. One of the newest features offered by the Aadhaar Card is that now you can Lock and unlock your Aadhaar Card Number. The introduction of this feature by the authority is taking one step ahead towards strengthening the security and privacy of the Aadhaar card and its holders. Let us understand how the LOCK feature of Aadhaar number is beneficial and its benefits.
Now-a-days, with technological advancement, there is ample opportunity for identity theft. Just with a click of a button, any person can hack your Aadhaar details and use it inappropriately. So, in order to stop such malicious activities, the Unique Identification Authority of India has introduced the LOCK feature on every Aadhaar number. Putting a Lock on your Aadhaar Number will ensure that no malicious activity like changing of Aadhaar details such as Name, Date of Birth, Biometric details etc. cannot be carried out. This thus bars each and every one from performing any authentication tasks based on Aadhaar Number. In case you want to perform authentication of your KYC, you first need to unlock your Aadhaar Number.
Before undertaking the task of putting a lock on your Aadhaar Number, there are certain key highlights that you need to pay attention to. They are as follows:
- Firstly, remember to create your virtual 16-digit ID code.
- If you do not generate 16-digit virtual ID code, then the UIDAI system shall not allow you to Lock your Aadhaar Card Number
- Remember to get your mobile number registered with the UIDAI authority before generating 16-digit virtual Aadhaar Card ID
Before understanding how to lock your Aadhaar number, let us first see how to generate 16-digit virtual ID number:
- Visit the official website of UIDAI by visiting uidai.gov.in/
- Under ‘My Aadhaar’ menu click on ‘Virtual ID (VID) Generator’
- Enter all the required details like:
- 12 digit Aadhaar Card Number
- Captcha Security Code
- After entering details, click on ‘Send OTP’ button
- A One-Time Password (OTP) shall be sent on the mobile number that is registered with the UIDAI authority
- Enter the OTP in the given space and click on the ‘Generate VID’ option
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button
- Upon clicking, you shall receive your 16-digit Virtual ID on your registered mobile number Thus, in this manner, you can create a virtual ID and then go ahead to lock your Aadhaar number. You can lock you Aadhaar Number in two ways namely:
- UIDAI website
- Sending an SMS to 1947 from registered mobile number to the UIDAI
Let us now understand with the help of step-by-step guide, the ways of locking your Aadhaar Number.
Locking the Aadhaar Card Number through the UIDAI Website
- Visit the official website of UIDAI at www.uidai.gov.in
- Click on the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab
- From the dropdown menu under the ‘Aadhaar Services’ section, find and click on ‘Aadhaar Lock/Unlock’ Option
- Click on the ‘Lock UID’ option
- Enter all the required information like: Aadhaar Number, Name (as per Aadhaar Card records), PIN Code and Security code
- Once all the required information is entered, click on the ‘Send OTP’ button
- You shall receive a one-time password via SMS on your registered mobile number (kindly note this one-time password is valid for TEN MINUTES ONLY, so if you fail to enter the OTP in the given timeframe or you do not receive OTP SMS, kindly click on ‘Resend OTP’ option. UIDAI will resend fresh OTP on your registered mobile number)
- Enter the One-Time Password in the designated space and click on ‘Submit’ button
- Once you click on ‘Submit’ button your Aadhaar Number will be locked through UIDAI website
Lock your Aadhaar Number by sending SMS
If you do not have access to the internet or do not know how to operate internet, but want to lock your Aadhaar number, don’t worry! You can now easily lock your Aadhaar Number within minutes with the help of your mobile phone. By sending an SMS, you can easily lock your Aadhaar number. Following is a step-by-step guide to lock your Aadhaar number through SMS facility:
- Before locking your Aadhaar number, firstly send an SMS from your registered mobile number to receive One-time Password. The format for sending a request for receiving OTP is: GETOTP Last 4 digits of your Aadhaar Card Number and send it to 1947 For example: if your Aadhaar Card Number is 9876 5432 1234 2134, then send SMS to 1947 as follows: GETOTP 2134
- Once the request of OTP is processed, the UIDAI authority shall send an SMS to you consisting of 6-digit OTP to your registered mobile number
- After receiving the OTP, send the SMS request for locking the Aadhaar Number as LOCKUID last 4 digits of your Aadhaar number 6-digit OTP number
- Upon sending the SMS in the given format, UIDAI shall lock your Aadhaar Number Thus, in this manner, you can easily lock your Aadhaar Number and increase the security of your Aadhaar Card. Now, let us have a look at how to unlock your locked Aadhaar Number. You can unlock your Aadhaar number in the following manner:
Unlocking the Aadhaar Number via UIDAI Website
- Visit www.uidai.gov.in
- Click on the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab, under the ‘Aadhaar Services’ section click on ‘Aadhaar Lock/Unlock’ option
- Click on ‘Unlock UID’
- Enter your 16-digit Virtual ID and security code
- Click on the ‘Send OTP’ button
- You shall receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP in designated space and click on the ‘Submit’ button and your Aadhaar number will be unlocked
Unlocking the Aadhaar Number via SMS Facility
- Send an SMS to UIDAI at 1947 from your registered mobile number as follows: GETOTP Last 6 digits of your virtual ID
- Once you send SMS to 1947, the UIDAI authority shall revert you with 6-digit OTP number
- Then for unlocking the Aadhaar number, send another SMS in the following format: UNLOCKUID last 6-digits of VID OTP number
- Once you send both the SMS in given format UIDAI shall unlock your Aadhaar number We now hope that you have a clear idea of how to lock and unlock an important identification proof in the country, the Aadhaar Number.