Aadhaar card has now become important for almost all types of financial transactions. That is why the validity of the card should be checked to ensure that the card can prove useful when needed.
Aadhaar Card is a unique identification proof of all the individuals in India. It is issued free of cost. UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) issues the Aadhaar card. It contains all the demographic and biometric details of an individual. The UIDAI issues a 12 digit number through which your validity is checked. Aadhaar card serves as one of the most important documents for your identity, address proof and proof of age. Moreover, when the card is linked with your bank account and other financial products, you get various benefits.
What is the validity period of Aadhaar card?
The Aadhaar card is valid for your lifetime and does not expire till your death. The card is issued once and thereafter, it continues to be applicable throughout an adult’s lifetime.
However, in the case of minor children, there is a validity period. Children below 5 years of age are issued a blue Aadhaar card. This card is valid till the child attains 5 years of age, after which the card should be updated with the updated details of the child. In recent times, however, the Government deactivated many Aadhaar cards because of authenticity. Many individuals held more than one card in their names and so many cards were deactivated. If you are wondering whether your card is valid or not, you must check your Aadhaar card validity. Here’s how you can do so -
How to check your Aadhaar card validity?
The UIDAI has an easy process which helps you check your Aadhaar card validity. The following are the steps to check the validity of your Aadhar card -
- Visit the official website of UIDAI.
- You need to go to the option of Aadhaar services on the website.
- On the right side of the homepage, you will see the option “Verify Aadhar number”.
- Then click on “Verify Aadhar number” and it will take you to a new page.
- Now, enter the 12 digit unique identity Aadhar number in the box.
- Enter your security code.
- Now, click on verify.
- If your Aadhaar number is valid, then a message will be shown showing the status of Aadhaar number confirmed. If the Aadhaar number is deactivated, then a green mark will appear saying the number does not exist.
The need for Aadhaar card verification
Aadhaar card verification is needed to ensure the validity of the card. It is also helps to make sure that the card is issued or not. The official website of UIDAI is used to update any details of an individual. The demographic information of the individual is available on the website such as name, gender, date of birth, state you live in. The biometric features such as fingerprints, photographs and iris i.e. retina scan details are also available. If any information is not valid, you can contact UIDAI online or contact the Permanent Enrolment Centre for updation.
How to check if your Aadhaar Card is Deactivated or not?
- Visit the official website of UIDAI.
- Then, click on the “Verify Aadhar Number” option under the “Aadhar services” on the bottom left of the page.
- Verify your card by entering 12 digit Aadhaar number and also the security code.
- Now, click on the “Verify” button to know whether your card is activated or deactivated.
- If your Aadhaar card is active, then a message will be shown as “Aadhar Verification Completed”.
- If your Aadhaar card is deactivated, then a green mark will appear.
Benefits of Aadhaar Card Verification
Here are the benefits which Aadhaar card verification provides
- You can avail different subsidies on the financial services that you avail.
- Aadhaar card verification is important as it serves as a valid identity proof and address proof.
- You can file your income tax returns online easily.
- You can apply and get your passport easily in a few days.
- All the details mentioned in the Aadhaar card are safe with the government.
- An Aadhaar card holder can open a Bank Account very easily.
- Pension is easily available.
What is e-Aadhar card?
E-Aadhar card is the digital version of your normal Aadhaar card. You can use it immediately as the normal Aadhaar card takes some time to reach you after enrolment. It can be downloaded online by submitting the enrolment number of normal Aadhaar card. You can check the status of e-Aadhar card on the official website of UIDAI and also update it. E-Aadhar card is a 12 digit number given by UIDAI. E- Aadhar card is a pdf file. It is safe by a password. It can be opened only when the password is typed. It is a safe method for viewing your Aadhaar card. It also contains the biographic and demographic details, just like the physical Aadhaar card.
What is the validity of e-Aadhar card?
E-Aadhar card is nothing but the normal Aadhar card in electronic form. The validity of the card is, therefore, similar to the validity of the normal Aadhaar card. This means that e- Aadhar card is valid for the lifetime of the individual and can be used in digital transactions.
What is Virtual ID (VID)?
VID is a temporary 16 digit number which is connected with your Aadhaar card number. VID number can be obtained from the UIDAI website or Aadhaar enrolment centres. It is a temporary number which is generated with reference to your unique Aadhaar card number. You should have your mobile number registered to get this number. The Virtual Aadhaar number can be used in place of the original Aadhaar card number for online transactions to prevent misuse of the Aadhaar card number.
What is the validity of VID?
Currently, VID can be used for a minimum of one day. This means that the Aadhaar card holder can generate the Virtual ID number once and the number would be valid for 24 hours. Thereafter, the Virtual ID number would expire. For any other transaction using the VID number, another number would have to be generated.
Aadhaar card is an important document which establishes your identity and is useful in many cases. The card is also valid for your lifetime. So, apply for an Aadhaar card and enjoy its benefits lifelong.
Recommended Read: How to Check Aadhaar Status After Update Request Submitted