Reports of women being diagnosed with critical ailments like breast cancer, ovarian cancer and heart diseases are on the rise. Taking a note of this, insurance provides have designed women-specific critical illness insurance plans to provide protection against the associated risks.
From politics, aeronautics, and finance to e-commerce – women are breaking the glass ceiling and seeking equality in all spheres of life. But the differences arise with the kind of health issues that a woman wrestles with. Nowadays, women are go-getters as they are not only taking care of their homes but are also excelling at the workplace.
Gone are those days, when women were financially and emotionally dependent on their male counterparts. While playing different roles in life, women often tend to neglect their health. On top of that, women are more susceptible to diseases like, arthritis and breast cancer which are far different from what men go through.
Now The Question Is:
Why is it crucial to have a separate health insurance plan for a woman apart from a basic health plan?
There are a good number of health insurance offering insurance plans, covering cancer and other critical ailments. However, the takers are meager due to the lack of awareness and also because the husband has an insurance policy, covering both wife and kids. This is one of the major hurdles which has not made women health plans something to be thought of.
Choosing the Right Health Insurance Plan for Women
Till now, women were mostly covered under floater plans or as a dependent on their husbands’ [or father’s] health insurance policy. With changing times, working and educated women are getting aware of the nature of diseases that could affect them. Insurance companies are catering to mushrooming health requirements of women. They offer women specific plans which are mainly designed to suit diverse needs of their female insurance-seekers.
Women are susceptible to pregnancy and bone related issues & breast/ovarian cancer at a young age. Therefore, before buying a health insurance make sure that you buy an additional health cover that takes care of the women-centric critical illnesses. Some insurers offer in-built pregnancy-related cover, though it’s not very extensive. These plans are particularly designed to cover illnesses that a woman is more prone to during her lifetime.
Best Health Insurance Plan for Women
At present, there are two plans available in the market, Bajaj Allianz Women Specific Critical Illness Insurance and TATA AIG Wellsurance Woman.
TATA AIG Wellsurance Critical Illness Insurance:
This insurance comes with significant coverage:
- 11 critical illnesses including cancer
- Cashless hospitalization 3000+ network hospitals Pan-India
- Daily hospital cash benefit
- Recovery benefit
- Post hospitalization cure
- Cosmetic reconstruction surgery benefit for accidental injuries
- Income tax benefit under sec 80D Plus, it also features various other benefits like health helpline, discounts at health and wellness centers and free health check-ups.
Bajaj Allianz Women-Specific Critical Illness Insurance:
This Critical Illness health insurance plan offers coverage against 8 critical illnesses of which women are most susceptible to.
- It works in a simple manner by assuring a definite sum to a woman in case she gets diagnosed with one of the listed critical illnesses – breast cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine/endometrial cancer, vaginal cancer, fallopian tube cancer, paralysis, and burns.
- In case of a congenital disability, one is entitled to get 50% of the sum insured
- In addition to all this, there’s a special sum to that is given to a working woman who lost her job 3 months after being diagnosed with one of the mentioned critical illness.
At last, to combat with the rising critical illnesses, women should buy a health policy at an early age, preferably before 30. It is imperative because, in this way, they can save waiting period at a very young age and utilize their health cover if need be. It is crucial to review your women’s health policy coverage after you get married and have children. Women opting for health policies even get an access to other value added benefits like health helpline and free health checkups, etc.
Being one of the most beautiful creations of Nature, it is essential to insure your health. After all, you deserve it!