Business owners are known to take risks, but going without health insurance is one risk that must be avoided. Read this article to find out some of the popular health plans that such individuals must consider including in their insurance portfolio.
There are many advantages to running your own business - you can follow your passion, be your own boss, enjoy flexibility and creative freedom, etc. But what often happens is that with the work pressure, business owners often tend to neglect their own health. It is not only important for employees to be insured under a group plan, it is equally vital for the entrepreneur to ensure he or she is adequately covered with a health policy. There are a number of health insurance plans available in the market that cater to the requirements of business owners. In this article, we will look into the top plans that such individuals can avail for themselves. But first, let us understand the meaning of health insurance and what it has to offer.
What is Health Insurance?
Health insurance is a type of insurance product that covers the medical and surgical expenses of an insured individual. The insurer could either reimburse the expenses incurred by the insured due to illness or injury, or pay the care provider of the individual directly (cashless claim facility).
Benefits of Health Insurance:
A health insurance policy generally covers the following expenses:
- Pre and post hospitalization
- In-patient hospitalization treatment
- Road ambulance
- Day care procedure
- Preventive health check-up
Note - The features and benefits of health insurance vary from plan to plan. Individuals are advised to go through the product brochure before availing a health insurance policy.
Top Health Insurance Policies
Some of the top health insurance covers available in the market are as follows:
- Apollo Munich Easy Health - This plan protects the loved ones of the insured from unforeseen emergency expenses. Additionally, it provides a comprehensive cover for medical treatment of illnesses and accidents requiring in-patient hospitalisation. The sum insured options per policy year are - Rs. 2 lakhs, Rs. 3 lakhs, Rs. 4 lakhs, Rs. 5 lakhs, Rs. 7.50 lakhs, Rs. 10 lakhs and Rs. 15 lakhs.
A Policyholder can avail additional cover for critical illness, which covers cancer, kidney failure (end-stage renal disease), coronary artery (bypass) surgery, first heart attack (myocardial infarction), multiple sclerosis, major organ transplantation, paralysis and stroke. The sum insured for critical illness is either 50% or 100% of the basic sum insured, subject to minimum of Rs. 1,00,000.
Source: Official website of Apollo Munich Health Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz Health Guard - This plan is designed to suit all healthcare needs. It covers the medical treatment expenses borne during hospitalization, as a result of a serious illness or accident. There are two plans available under Health Guard - Silver Plan and Gold Plan. The sum insured levels available under the Silver Plan are Rs.1.5 lakhs and Rs. 2 lakhs, while the coverage levels under the Gold Plan are Rs. 3 lakhs, Rs. 4 lakhs, Rs. 5 lakhs, Rs. 7.5 lakhs, Rs. 10 lakhs, 15 lakhs, Rs. 20 lakhs, Rs. 25 lakhs, Rs. 30 lakhs, Rs. 35 lakhs, Rs. 40 lakhs, Rs. 45 lakhs, and Rs. 50 lakhs.
Source: Official website of Bajaj Allianz
- Religare Health Insurance Care - This is a comprehensive health plan that financially protects the individual and his or her family against financial risks arising from medical emergencies. The options available under Care include - Super Saver (Rs. 4 lakhs), Elite (Rs. 5 lakhs, Rs.7 lakhs and Rs. 10 lakhs), Elite Plus (Rs. 15 lakhs, Rs. 20 lakhs, Rs. 25 lakhs, Rs. 30 lakhs and Rs. 40 lakhs), Global (Rs. 50 lakhs, Rs. 60 lakhs and Rs. 75 lakhs) and Global Plus (Rs. 1 crore, Rs. 2 crores, Rs. 3 crores and Rs. 6 crores).
Policyholders can avail the following add-ons with Care - No Claim Bonus Super, Everyday Care, Unlimited Automatic Recharge, Air Ambulance Cover, Personal Accident Cover, International Second Opinion and Global Coverage. Under Care anywhere, individuals can benefit from global cover for 12 critical ailments.
Source: Official website of Religare Health Insurance
With a comprehensive health insurance policy, entrepreneurs can ensure that neither their loved ones, not their businesses get affected in the event of medical emergencies. The proceeds from the policy can be used to take care of all the hospital and medical bills.
Additionally, business owners can claim tax benefits under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961, for the premiums paid towards the policy. Thus, it can be concluded that health insurance is an invaluable safety net for business owners.
Recomended Link:Why is Top-up Health Insurance plan important?