Don’t know how to claim Third Party Two Wheeler Insurance? Worry not, here’s a simple guide for a third-party two wheeler claim process.
Two wheeler market in India is growing day by day due to its numerous benefits and affordability. Due to this, road accidents have also become a regular affair. However, many people are still clueless how to claim a third party two wheeler insurance.
In India, government has made it mandatory to have at least third party liability insurance for all two wheelers plying on Indian roads. Third party liability insurance does not cover your two wheeler instead it offers protection to third party damages be it to property or person caused by your two wheeler. Actually, the injured party is the actual beneficiary of third party insurance. In case you are the victim of the accident then you can claim compensation against third party insurance coverage from the two wheeler involved. There is no limit on the liability for death or injury but for compensation for damage to property the maximum cap on compensation is INR 7.5 lakhs.
Let’s have a look how to raise a third party two wheeler insurance claim
- The first and foremost thing that one should do is contact the police and file an FIR to register the accident. FIR document is the most important document that will be required to be submitted as it details out the accident and records it officially. One should never evade this step.
- After this step, you should inform your insurance company of the accident without wasting any time via phone or email. Although insurance companies say to inform them about the accident within 48 hours of the occurrence, it is advisable to do it as soon as possible to avoid any further delay in the claim process.
- If possible, try to take photos from your phone or camera of the damage, injuries suffered by the third party. The photos will help you to have a record and will come in handy if there is any discrepancies in future in the claim regarding the accident.
- Next, you should try to take down the phone number of the witness of the accident and the third party. Also, note down information of the coverage of third party’s insurance.
- Give all the information collected to your insurer. Don’t try to give any false or exaggerate on any information for the purpose of claim approval. Any false claim can jeopardize your claim result and result in rejection by the insurance company and cancellation of your two wheeler insurance policy.
- Further, you need to register a case with the Motor Accident Claims Tribunal court that comes under the jurisdiction of the location where the accident occurs. If that seems difficult, you can also file the case in the motor accident claims tribunal court that comes under the jurisdiction of third party residence or your residence. Please note that no other civil courts can decide on the third party two wheeler insurance claims.
- Keep a note of all the conversation or emails you have with your insurer regarding the claim. This may come in handy in future to expedite the claim process.
- Have a file in which all the relevant document like FIR, receipts, bills, photos, etc. which are needed in the claim process are kept in an organized manner. Having all required documents helps in the speedy claim process.
Be careful and avoid these common errors
There are certain errors which need to be avoided at all cost during claim process of third party two wheeler. They have been listed below:
- Never ever run away from the accident spot. Ensure the vehicles are not moved until an inspector surveys for filling proper documents.
- Arrange for medical help if someone is injured in the accident.
- Don’t settle with the third party without the police involvement as it may result in illegal consequences for you in future.
- Don’t panic or get angry. Also, don’t accept the responsibility for the accident and let the police or law agency make the decision.
- You should never ride your two wheeler after having alcohol or any other intoxicants. It is illegal to do so and these factors will result in rejection of your claim and invite a legal action against you.
- Don’t submit documents as per your wish. You need to follow the claim process and submit forms and documents to avoid any delay and inconvenience in the claim process.
- Check the claim amount provided by your insurer. If you feel the estimate provided by them is not accurate, contact your lawyer or get it verified by an authorized person.
Here's your go-to guide of what to do when you claim your third party two wheeler insurance.
Third party claim process can be complex and have a long turnaround time. If you decide to raise a claim, you need to follow the procedure for filing the third party two wheeler insurance claim properly in order to get your claim settled.
Recommended Read :Common Mistakes While Filing Third-party Two Wheeler Insurance Claim