- About Coverfox
The Transport Department of Karnataka implements the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act and Rules and collection of tax.
The main responsibility of the Transport Department of Karnataka is enforcement of the provisions of regulation of Motor Vehicles Act in the State, the collection of tax on Motor Vehicles, Road Safety, Control of Air and Noise pollution as per the various provisions of the following acts and rules:
The Karnataka Transport Department is mainly involved in the following functions and duties:
1. Registration of Motor Vehicle -
a. Temporary Registration
b. Issuance & Renewal of Trade Certificate
c. Registration of New Vehicle and providing B- register extract (Registration Details)
d. Noting change of address
e. Transfer of ownership of vehicles
f. Re-registration of vehicle
g. Renewal of registration certificate of non-transport vehicle (personal vehicles like motorcycles, cars, jeeps etc.)
h. Renewal of fitness certificate for transport vehicles
i. Noting and terminating hypothecation / hire purchase/lease agreement
j. Providing Clearance and no objection certificate
k. Duplicate registration certificate
l. Fresh registration certificate
m. Alteration / conversion
n. Refund of life time tax
o. Surrender and release of vehicle records
p. RC Cancellation and Scrap
2. Issue of driving and conductor licenses – Issuance of learner license and driving license. Issuance of duplicate and renewal of driving license and international driving permit. Issuance and renewal of conductor license.
3. Issue of permits for goods and Passenger vehicles - Issuance of permits to Autorickshaw, Cabs - Luxury Cabs, Maxi Cab, Radio Cabs, City Cabs, Prepaid Taxi. Issuance of Temporary Permit. And also to Private Service Vehicles, Education Institution Buses, Goods Carriage Permit, etc.
4. Collection of Motor vehicle taxes - Collection of various tax - Quarterly, Life time, Green Tax, Composite Tax, Border Tax, etc. Looking into Tax Exemptions matters.
5. Enforcement of Motor Vehicle Acts and Rules – To ensure that the provisions under the Motor Vehicles Act is enforced.
6. Road safety measures – Enforcement of traffic rules and regulations.
7. Vehicular pollution control measures – Checking noise and air pollution. Enforcing rules and regulation to maintain the same.
|RTO Locations||RTO Code||RTO Locations||RTO Code|
|Kolar Gold Fields||KA08||Kengeri||KA41|
|Mandya||KA11||Tiptur, Tumkur district||KA44|
|Madikeri||KA12||Hunsur, Mysore District||KA45|
|Hassan||KA13||Sakleshpur, Hassan District||KA46|
|Shimoga||KA14||Honnavar, Uttarakannada District||KA47|
|Sagar||KA15||Jamkhandi, Bagalkote District||KA48|
|Chitradurga||KA16||Gokak, Belguam District||KA49|
|Mangalore||KA19||Nelamangala, Bangalore District||KA52|
|Puttur||KA21||Nagamangala, Mandya District||KA54|
|Gadag||KA26||Chamrajpet, Bengaluru Dist - 560019||KA59|
|Haveri||KA27||R.T. Nagar, Bengaluru District||KA60|
|Karwar||KA30||Hubballi - 580026||KA63|
|Sirsi||KA31||Madhugiri, Tumakuru District - 572132||KA64|
|Kalaburagi||KA32||Dandeli - 581325||KA65|
|Yadgir||KA33||Tarikere, Chikkamagaluru District||KA66|
The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 prohibits an individual from driving a motor vehicle in Karnataka without a valid vehicle registration. Therefore, it becomes mandatory for a vehicle owner to register his vehicle at the Karnataka RTO to freely drive in the state.
Vehicle Registration Process in Karnataka
The vehicle registration number is allotted by the Karnataka RTO on submission of the above documents. The vehicle number is electronically generated on the basis of the ongoing series at RTO Karnataka. Karnataka RTO also keeps a few numbers aside for individuals looking to obtain a fancy number for their vehicle. A fancy number is allotted through an auction. The highest bidder receives the desired number. Once the vehicle is registered with the Karnataka RTO, a registration certificate is sent to the vehicle owners registered address via speed post.
If a vehicle owner in Karnataka wishes to transfer the ownership of his vehicle legally to another person, then he will have to visit the Karnataka RTO and do the following:
A temporary vehicle registration number is provided by a car dealer in Karnataka. A temporary number is issued at the time of vehicle purchase for a period of 30 days during which the vehicle owner has to make an application for a permanent registration number. The above documents mentioned for permanent vehicle registration have to be submitted along with the applicable tax and fee.
In case if you have purchased a second-hand vehicle from another state, then you can register the vehicle at Karnataka RTO by submitting the below-mentioned documents:
You can buy insurance for your vehicle in Karnataka online or offline. It is mandatory to insure your vehicle with third-party vehicle insurance as per the rules of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Third party insurance covers an individual against damages caused to a third party or property. One can also get covered against damages caused to self, vehicle or third party by opting for comprehensive vehicle insurance.